SDRsharp (SDR#): installing on Windows 7/Vista
12 August 2014 | RTL-SDR | 10 Comments|
SDR# (‘SDRSharp’) is a popular ‘Software Defined Radio’ software application. SDR Sharp is easy to use, there are lots of extensions available and it’s free! Here I will show you how to install SDR# on Windows 7 or Windows Vista.
- A PC running Windows (Windows 7/Vista);
- A compatible SDR-receiver (here I will use the RTL-SDR) and antenna;
- Microsoft .NET Framework, but you will probably already have this on your computer.
It is very important that you do NOT install the drivers that came with your RTL-SDR. If you have already installed them, you should remove them first.
- Visit http://airspy.com/download/ to download SDR Sharp. Extract the archive on your PC.
- Find your exctracted files and double clicl the file install.bat. Some additional files needed by SDRSharp will be downloaded. After downloading has finished, you can close the DOS window by pressing any key.
- Attach the RTL-SDR to your computer. Windows will start searching for drivers, wait for it to finish.
- In the subdirectory called ‘sdrsharp’ you will now find the file ‘zadig.exe‘. Right-click this file and choose ‘run as administrator‘.
- When Zadig is running, choose ‘Options’ and make sure ‘List all devices‘ is selected.
- Go to ‘Device’ and select ‘Bulk-In, Interface (Interface 0)’ (or ‘RTL2832UHIDIR’).
- Click on the big button labeled ‘Install Driver’. Zadig will now install the driver, this might take a while.
- After Zadig has finished installing the driver you can start SDR# by double clicking the file ´SDRSharp.exe’.
- In SDR# go to ´Source´ in the top left corner and choose ´RTL-SDR / USB´.
- Start the receiver by clicking the arrow, you can now tune in to radio stations.
- If there are no stations to be found or just some weak ones, you should probably increase the RF Gain.
SDRSHARP will not run Zadig on vista as it does not support XP or Vista