SDRSharp (SDR#): installing on Windows 10
15 September 2016 | RTL-SDR | 44 Comments|
Some time ago I showed you how to install SDR# on a PC running Windows Vista or Windows 7. SDR# (‘SDR Sharp’) is one of the most popular software packages for ‘Software Defined Radio’ on Windows. Here I will show you how you can install SDR# on a PC running Windows 10.
- A computer running Windows 10, preferably a 2GHz dual-core processor or faster and 4GB of memory;
- One SDR-receiver, compatible with SDR# (in this case a regular RTL-SDR with the R820T and RTL2832U chipset) and antenna.
It is very important that you do NOT install the drivers that came with your RTL-SDR. You should remove them first if you have already installed them.
- Go to http://airspy.com/download/ and download SDR Sharp. Extract the archive.
- In the directory where you extracted the files, double click install-rtlsdr.bat. Files required for SDR# will now be downloaded. When the download is complete, the DOS-window will close automatically.
Tip from user ‘cicciounic’: try starting install-rtlsd.bat from the command line if you have problems running it.
- Connect the USB receiver to your PC. Windows 10 will now probably start looking for drivers. Wait for it to finish. In some cases, Windows will not search for drivers. If that is the case, just continue to the next step.
- Among the files in the directory, you should see the file ‘zadig.exe‘. Right-click this file and choose ‘run as administrator‘. There will be a pop up asking you to allow changes, click ‘Yes’.
- When Zadig is running, go to ‘Options’ and make sure ‘List all devices‘ is selected.
- At the ‘Device’ option, select ‘Bulk-In, Interface (Interface 0)’ (or in some cases, you might instead see ‘RTL2832UHIDIR’, then select this).
- Click on the big button labeled ‘Replace Driver’ or ‘Install Driver’. Installing the driver may take a minute.
- When installing the driver is done, you can now run SDR# by double-clicking the file ´SDRSharp.exe´.
- After starting SDR#, go to ´Source´ and select ´RTL-SDR / USB´ in the drop-down selection box.
- Clicking the arrow in the top left corner will start the receiver. You can now tune in to some stations.
- If there are no stations to be found or only a few weak signals, then you need to increase the RF gain.
I cannot install SDR Sharp V2.2 on Windows 10. It will not load devices into the configuration settings.